A great makeup look starts with a solid skincare routine. Even if you use the best makeup, it won’t look the way you want it to unless your skin is in a healthy state. For the past three years, I’ve been working on fine tuning my skincare routine and paying more attention to the ingredients I’m putting in and on my body.
I have experimented with the type and order of skincare products and have finally landed on a routine that works for me. I sometimes change out products depending on how my skin is feeling or if I’m trying something new but for the most part, this is my standard morning and evening skincare routine in the order I use each product. Of note, I think the most important step here is the first one, cleansing. Removing all the makeup and dirt from your face is the best way to give your skin a fresh start and allow for all the other products you’re using to be most effective!
One thing I recommend to friends and readers is to see a dermatologist and get your skin properly evaluated before you completely change your skincare routine. This routine works for me but everyone has a different skin situation. Also, this may seem simple but drink a ton of water and get some sleep! I know it’s not easy to accomplish but with proper nutrition and quality products, my skin is feeling great. On most days, I wear little to no makeup and feel confident venturing out into the world. Below is my current skincare routine. I’d love to hear which products you’re currently using and loving!
Morning skincare routine:
1. Cleanser: Glossier Milk Jelly
2. Vitamin C Serum: Sunday Riley C.E.O Vitamin C Brightening Serum
3. Eye cream: Sunday Riley Auto Correct Eye Cream
4. Moisturizer: Glossier Priming Moisturizer
Evening skincare routine:
1. Makeup Remover: Glossier makeup remover
2. Cleanser: Glossier Milk Jelly
3. Oil Cleanser: L’Occitane Shea Cleansing Oil (note: I double cleanse when wearing a ton of make-up)
4. Toner: P50 (I now use it daily but in the beginning, I used it every other night)
6. Eye cream: Sunday Riley Auto Correct Eye Cream
7. Moisturizer: Drunk Elephant Protini or Glossier Priming Moisturizer Rich. I like to step away here and do something else for a few minutes to let the moisturizer set in and leave some time before I put on a retinol.
9. Oil: Vintner’s Daughter (pricey but worth it)